Tom Maker shares the method to his madness as he lands over 50 within 48-hours!
Originally two separate carp lakes, Hardwick Lake and Smiths Pool were joined together by a narrow channel. This created probably the most interesting lake on the complex offering plenty of variation in depths and lakebed types, creating different challenges to suit various angling styles.
Hardwick Smiths is probably one of the quieter waters on the complex, but still offers a great session with a good head of carp over 20lb, twenty 30’s and a few fish over 40lb.
Map details sourced in association with Carp Feed.
HARDWICK SMITHS FACTS
FISHERY: Linear Fisheries
STOCK: 1000+ carp, with a good head of carp over 20lb, over 20 30’s, and 3 over 40lb
NUMBER OF SWIMS: 41
LAKE RECORD: Mirror Carp – 43lb 10oz
Common Carp – 39lb 14oz
OTHER SPECIES: Pike, Bream, Tench, Roach, Rudd, Chub
PRICE: 2 Rods – 12 hours – £15.50
3 Rods – 12 hours – £18.50
2 Rods – 24 hours – £23
3 Rods – 24 hours – £29
CONTACT: Ian Roper – Head Bailiff
07885 327708 (Mon-Fri 8am – 6pm)
TOP TIPS WITH TOM MAKER
Don’t be shy when baiting up, I often start my session with approximately 40-50 spombs.
Use Whole Food Items
Because this lake averages between 10-20 ft deep, I use whole food items such as boilies, tigers, corn and 8mm pellets. This is so that I know my free offerings have made it to the lakebed without drifting off course whilst falling through the water column.
Every swim has something different to offer whether it be a dramatic change in depth, a large plateau or a gravel bar, taking the time to locate the features in front of you will give you a much better chance of catching.
There’s only one colour of pop-up for me on Hardwick Smiths and that’s yellow!
- Cars must be parked in designated car parks.
- No driving or parking on the grass around any of the lakes.
- Barbed or Barbless hooks may be uses.
- Fish are not to be retained for long more than 30 minutes, sacks are not permitted.
- No boats, drones, bait boats, radios, guns, fires, picnics, swimming, drugs or heavy drinking.
- No dogs unless on a lead and under control.
- All particles must be well soaked, well cooked and used in moderation and spodding maggots is no longer allowed, however they can be used in PVA bags or feeders but anglers should not be using more than 4 pints per day.
- All Spombs are to be used in conjunction with a ‘Spomb Float’.
- Fixed leads are not allowed, rigs will be checked by our bailiffs.
- Unhooking mats to be used for all fish.
- Wading is not allowed, except in the event of netting and or releasing a fish in shallow water.
- If doubling up in a swim you can only use two rods each unless you’re in one of the handful of large swims dotted around the complex.