Gaz Fareham shows us the tactics used by him and Marcus Howarth in Reflections - The Secret Lake.
Brasenose One is currently the second largest of Linear’s carp lakes with a big 32 acres of water to fish. This popular day ticket water has a large head of carp which continuously produces results. Stocked with over 1900 fish, almost half are over the 20lb mark, with at least forty fish over 30lb.
With a lake record of 43lb 4oz, Brasenose One is a perfect lake if you’re looking for a 40-pounder as there are reportedly another 7 fish over that mark.
Map details sourced in association with Carp Feed.
BRASENOSE ONE FACTS
FISHERY: Linear Fisheries
SIZE: 32 acres
STOCK: 1900+ carp, 45% of these above 20lb. Over forty fish over 30lb and at least 8 fish over 40lb.
NUMBER OF SWIMS: 45
LAKE RECORD: Mirror Carp – 43lb 4oz
Common Carp – 30lb 8oz
OTHER SPECIES: Pike, Bream, Tench, Roach, Perch
PRICE: 2 Rods – 12 hours – £15.50
3 Rods – 12 hours – £18.50
2 Rods – 24 hours – £23
3 Rods – 24 hours – £29
CONTACT: Ian Roper – Head Bailiff
07885 327708 (Mon-Fri 8am – 6pm)
TOP TIPS WITH TOM MAKER
Follow The Wind
Due to B1’s size and featureless bottom, the wind plays a huge part in where the fish will be, so I will always try to fish on the end of the wind with the wind blowing in my face.
Baiting For A Big Hit
With such a large head of fish in the lake it can be hard to hold them in front of you, so giving them plenty of bait is a must. A good helping of hemp, corn and boilies fed onto one spot with three rods fished over the top is the best way to amass a big hit of fish.
Zig rigs are an absolutely devastating method on all year round! I’ve found between April to September the fish respond very well to spodding over them with a sloppy spod mix and a yellow foam hookbait, and then from October to march it’s best to fish them as singles with a red foam hookbait suspended between 6ft and 9ft of the bottom
Spodding maggots at Linear is banned, but using them in PVA bags is allowed, this is a devastating method if the fish are not responding to large beds of bait. I prefer to dust my maggots in Manilla Active Mix and fish a bright pop-up over the top of them.
- Cars must be parked in designated car parks.
- No driving or parking on the grass around any of the lakes.
- Barbed or Barbless hooks may be uses.
- Fish are not to be retained for long more than 30 minutes, sacks are not permitted.
- No boats, drones, bait boats, radios, guns, fires, picnics, swimming, drugs or heavy drinking.
- No dogs unless on a lead and under control.
- All particles must be well soaked, well cooked and used in moderation and spodding maggots is no longer allowed, however they can be used in PVA bags or feeders but anglers should not be using more than 4 pints per day.
- All Spombs are to be used in conjunction with a ‘Spomb Float’.
- Fixed leads are not allowed, rigs will be checked by our bailiffs.
- Unhooking mats to be used for all fish.
- Wading is not allowed, except in the event of netting and or releasing a fish in shallow water.
- If doubling up in a swim you can only use two rods each unless you’re in one of the handful of large swims dotted around the complex.