18th March 2020

Adam Raveney continues his winter form with an early morning hit including some cool characters, with three fish weighing 30lb-plus!

Adam has had a great few months so far this year, consistently getting amongst the Milton Abbas fish most weeks. None more so than on a recent session, where he had a flurry of fish during a morning spell, leaving him with a total of seven fish… all of mixed character.

The biggest was The Bent Wrist Common at 34lb, but he also had a double row linear and a leather nudging 30lb, as well as a fully scaled mirror with big apple slice scales.

Adam’s winning tactics consisted of jazzed up Krill wafters soaked in bait spray and dusted up in GLM and Liver Powder, presented over a spread of matching freebies in mixed sizes.

I baited two rods quite heavily with approximately two kilos of Krill boilies, with a light scattering over the third rod, fished at close range in the corner.

Adam told us:

“I arrived at the lake as usual after work on the Saturday evening about an hour before dark. After a quick walk around, I decided to venture up to the top end of the lake on the winter bank, the wind was pushing up into the top corner and with no pressure up there I knew there was a good chance of a bite. I also knew that it would only be a matter of time before the floating weed beds turned up and it was going to be a gamble if I could even keep my rods fishing.

“After getting all three rods out, I baited two of them quite heavily with approximately two kilos of mixed sized Krill Freezer boilies, with just a light scattering over the third rod, fished at close range in the corner. It was about 10.30pm before I’d finished battling with the weed that I finally managed to flick the kettle on. I fell asleep a little apprehensive that a couple of my rods might have already been pulled off the spots and that they may need redoing shortly after first light.

“At around 5am, I woke to a belting take on my left-hand rod which produced the most amazing fully scaled mirror with big, tiger stripe like scales. This turned out to be the smallest of all the fish in the end, but an absolute stunner at 21lb 12oz. I got the rod straight back out and then put the kettle on, still worried about the other two rods. Before I had a chance to make a brew, the right-hand rod was away with what turned out to be the biggest of the morning, a lovely 34-pounder known as the Bent Wrist Common. I wasn’t even halfway through wrapping that rod back up when the middle rod was away with a lovely old mirror known as Half Tail, the second thirty of the morning.

“Both rods went straight back out onto the spots followed by another couple of kilos of Krill boilies. By that point, a couple of mates had turned up to help with the photos but before we had a chance to get anything sorted my left-hand rod was away again with a lovely mirror of 29lb 15oz. It was shortly followed by another take on my middle rod resulting in a wicked two tone fully weighing 25lb 10oz.

With one fish sacked up, two fish in retainers and both nets holding fish, I decided not to put the rods back out and get some photos done.

“After an hour, I put the rods back out and it didn’t take long to get another bite in the form of a stunning 31lb 6oz scaly mirror. Just as I was about to try and get some water shots done, I received bite number seven, from an amazing 29lb 10oz double row linear, which was the perfect ending.

“The rods didn’t go back out after that as it was time to head home and have that much-needed cup of tea. A quite unbelievable mornings fishing and one that will stay etched in the memory for a very long time!”